Due to an appalling lack of imagination we had Shepherd’s Pie (or whatever it’s called when made with beef). A couple of veg and gravy from a roast, very nice. Followed by poached nectarines and a little cream, yum yum yum.
Breakfast: latte
Lunch: I was very absorbed in my work (university term starts this weekend) and forgot to have lunch. I had nothing to eat until about 7pm!
Tea: venison meatballs and the leftover lemony orzo and courgette. Followed by a custard slice as a treat.
Very glad to hear your dinner party was a success, @Firenze!
Went out last night for a risotto supper, made by a friend L who does catering part-time (he lectures on Lacan and post-colonial literature). I expected a very classic risotto because he is a culinary purist who does cooking courses with nonnas in Italy. To my surprise L stood and stirred earnestly at the stove, then produced a kind of carnaroli rice pilaff with bell peppers, olives, pecorino and grindings of black pepper. a green salad on the side. Unorthodox but tasty. We drank a Fat Bastard rose wine and talked about voyeurism and Trump.
Lunch: an Ancient Grain roll with pâté and chutney, a few cherry tomatoes and a chocolate bar
With my tea in the afternoon: a rather humongous, custard-filled doughnut courtesy of a colleague whose official last day with us was today
Supper: pasta with prawns and tomatoes in a creamy sauce (the tomatoes were getting a bit squishy and were better to be cooked). It was actually rather good.
Lunch: Smoked Shropshire cheese with Scottish oatcakes and fig chutney, plus a few cherry tomatoes of course. For pudding Mr RoS and I shared a large 'Fiesta' apple - the only one that our little apple tree produced this year.
Dinner: Butter beans & canned tuna in a paprika and cumin spiced tomatoey sauce. Topped with mashed potato and browned under the grill.
Usual yogurt and berries for breakfast, but a treat on the toast. I mixed some apple pie spice with butter for a tasty spread. Lunch will be a turkey burger and vegetable sticks. Dinner udon noodles with stir fry vegetables and an egg. Snack will be a honey crisp apple. The new crop is just starting to show up in the market.
We’re on holiday so not in our usual eating pattern at all. The nicest things eat so far this week have been some ravioli with mushrooms and some piadini with mozzarella and tomatoes today.
Breakfast: toast and marmalade, yoghurt with vanilla sugar
Lunch: white pudding with beetroot salad and bought vanilla liégeoise dessert
Weekend dinner: we have already had the apéritif: smoked salmon canapés and WINE (Pouilly Fuissé). Husband en rouge is cooking scallops with sweet potato purée once Captain Pyjamas gone to bed. Cheese and grapes after.
Missed lunch again, I’m going to have to do something about that.
Tea was muntjac wellington, followed by a mango, ginger and turmeric smoothie. Now we are celebrating the weekend with Sarti Rosa Spritz, a cocktail we discovered on our visit to Austria last year.
Lunch at my favourite local NT property: Sadly the roast veg on sourdough that Mr RoS had the last time we were there was not on the menu, so I was back to jacket potato with tuna/sweetcorn/mayo with a generous side salad, and 2 extra sachets of mayo. Usually I really enjoy that, but had been looking forward to the roast veg on sourdough, so it was a bit of a disappointment.
No dessert, as I find that their selection of cakes on Fridays is a bit sparse, and not as fresh as they might be. Came home and had a couple of chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea.
Supper: Garlicky tomatoes on toast ( Plum tomatoes from the garden.)
Breakfast: Sour dough toast with cream cheese, soy bacon, eggs with kimchee scramble, coffee and a sliced pear. That may be it for the day as it is going to be 99F and most likely I will not feel like cooking or eating. I will be drinking a lot of water.
Today's food was planned around the fact that I was going hiking and Captain P was going swimming.
Breakfast: brioche and marmalade, cereal with yoghurt
Lunch: pasta (kept hot in a thermos) with tomato sauce and olives, an apple and a couple of cookies. Also a sort of chocolate cake which another hiker had brought to share and which it would have been rude to refuse
Dinner: croque monsieur (a sort of grilled ham and cheese sandwich) with lambs' lettuce. Panna cotta after.
Breakfast: latte with granola croissant (a croissant with seed frangipane inside and seeds and oats on top).
Lunch: baguette with smoked trout pate, accompanied by a cannellini bean and date salad.
Dinner: Mr Heavenly slow cooked a lovely beef shin casserole topped with croutons. This was followed by a shop bought crème caramel.
Wine: a nice organic Malbec.
Yesterday rather suspenseful until Mr F got home, so breakfast coffee and waffles. Lunch cheese toastie and a couple of Valium. Dinner, however, scallops, bacon and black pudding, washed down with champagne.
Plan for today is coffee and bagel. Homemade soup. Something with steak. And a nice red of course.
Sadly, yesterday’s curry just didn’t hit the mark. It could have been me dozing off in the afternoon or the portion being a bit too generous, but I struggled to eat half of it. Nothing wrong with it and at least I didn’t overeat, but it’s a shame and always makes Mrs Sioni unhappy when I don’t clear my plate.
Something lighter tonight, possibly eggy.
Had a really good lunch with friends out at Gabrielskloof in the Overberg, overlooking olive groves, orchards of lemon trees and hundreds of large dust-coloured sheep on hillsides. Not a warm day so I had braised pork belly with tart apple, a crispy potato cake, green beans and some kind of insane maple syrup, bacon and sharp vinegar sauce. Gabrielskloof's Rosebud wine, dry and irresistible. No room for dessert or cheeses, sad.
Sunday lunch: charcuterie and Prosecco for the apéritif, mains of rabbit with mushroom sauce, carrots and potatoes, cheese, and dessert from the patissier's (a sort of fig tart). Served with a nice Burgundy.
Sunday night nibblage: charcuterie, bread sticks and dip.
Usual breakfast, just to hot to cook, feeling lazy after a busy morning of trying to do all chores before yet again a major heat. Ordered Chineese take out. Not on totally my medical diet but I will drink a lot of water and only eat half. I will freeze the other half of the string bean chicken.
Usual granola and fruit breakfast before church, then toast and marmite afterwards, knowing lunch was going to be delayed till about 2.30.
My son cooked two legs of lamb, roast and mashed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peas and green beans, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshires and gravy.
This was preceded by home made home grown tomato soup, and followed by bought apple strudel with custard.
I have just found room for a small sandwich with salad garnish.
I bought bananas yesterday, so it was back to the usual breakfast this morning.
Lunch was leftover butter beans & tuna in tomatoey sauce. Poppyseed crumble cake for pud.
Supper, two slices of toast with Brussels paté. And Cherry tomatoes, of course.
I am eating them like sweeties at the moment, every time I go into the kitchen. I am really going miss them when the weather turn cold & the plants keel over!
There were five of us at the table, but he plated up three more meals for absent family and also made a mashed potato topped pie with all the leftovers.
Privately slightly disappointed not to be offered a couple of slices for my meal today!
Blueberries, granola and yoghurt for breakfast, strenuous session of yoga, and then had coffee and a large slice of burnt Basque cheesecake.
Lentil, feta and tomato salad for lunch. My Lagos-born neighbour down the road is making her grandmother's Exceptional Jollof Rice and I am hoping for left-overs because she has a coveted supply of grains of paradise (alligator pepper ) which is citrusy and very fragrant.
This evening, off to a wine tasting and hoping for interesting and substantial tapas because who spits instead of swallowing good summer wine?
10:26 AM. Blood sugar 161. I'm genuinely not sure why, though I'm guessing it was the pasta and rice for dinner even though I had no dessert at all. Going to keep an eye on that today. Breakfast: I'm really thinking, eggs and bacon or sausage, V-8, coffee, and maybe a piece of toast; today: working on grading stuff, other school things, dealing with the last few days of dishes, possibly laundry. Going to start watching season finale of Lanterns over breakfast. I will need soon to start looking into finding more colleges to apply to.
2:32 PM. Blood sugar 82! :-) Lunch: cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sprinkled with basil, pickles, pumpkin hummus, yogurt drink, diet Dr Pepper. Going to watch more of the Lanterns season finale. Then back to grading.
Another hot day. Yogurt, blueberries, and handful of granola and coffee for breakfast. Just drinking water and my son is bringing me something for dinner so I do not need to cook. Feeling blessed what ever it is. My body does not do well in heat, I find it hard to eat.
Breakfast: latte
Lunch: chunk of tomme cheese and some salted peanuts
Tea: I was teaching til gone 8pm so we had dinner at 9pm of basmati rice, fresh butterflied sardines and red onion and coriander salsa.
10:26 AM. Blood sugar 161. I'm genuinely not sure why, though I'm guessing it was the pasta and rice for dinner even though I had no dessert at all. Going to keep an eye on that today. Breakfast: I'm really thinking, eggs and bacon or sausage, V-8, coffee, and maybe a piece of toast; today: working on grading stuff, other school things, dealing with the last few days of dishes, possibly laundry. Going to start watching season finale of Lanterns over breakfast. I will need soon to start looking into finding more colleges to apply to.
We find that sausages can be a problem depending on the meat//meal ratio. The Great British Banger isn’t ideal, as many have a comparatively low meat content.
Comments
Lunch: I was very absorbed in my work (university term starts this weekend) and forgot to have lunch. I had nothing to eat until about 7pm!
Tea: venison meatballs and the leftover lemony orzo and courgette. Followed by a custard slice as a treat.
Went out last night for a risotto supper, made by a friend L who does catering part-time (he lectures on Lacan and post-colonial literature). I expected a very classic risotto because he is a culinary purist who does cooking courses with nonnas in Italy. To my surprise L stood and stirred earnestly at the stove, then produced a kind of carnaroli rice pilaff with bell peppers, olives, pecorino and grindings of black pepper. a green salad on the side. Unorthodox but tasty. We drank a Fat Bastard rose wine and talked about voyeurism and Trump.
Breakfast: buttery and OJ
Lunch: an Ancient Grain roll with pâté and chutney, a few cherry tomatoes and a chocolate bar
With my tea in the afternoon: a rather humongous, custard-filled doughnut courtesy of a colleague whose official last day with us was today
Supper: pasta with prawns and tomatoes in a creamy sauce (the tomatoes were getting a bit squishy and were better to be cooked). It was actually rather good.
Just now: grapes
Lunch: vegetable soup and a ham sandwich. Vanilla cream after.
Dinner: eggs baked with butternut squash, walnuts and goat's cheese. An apple.
Lunch: Smoked Shropshire cheese with Scottish oatcakes and fig chutney, plus a few cherry tomatoes of course. For pudding Mr RoS and I shared a large 'Fiesta' apple - the only one that our little apple tree produced this year.
Dinner: Butter beans & canned tuna in a paprika and cumin spiced tomatoey sauce. Topped with mashed potato and browned under the grill.
Slight problem, the pan had been used for heating a takeaway curry. There was some slight hint of it left behind so I had curry porridge! 😜
My diet is shot.
Breakfast - toast from a farmhouse bloomer. Lunch cheese salad* roll in seeded crusty roll.
*I understand this phrase doesn't always translate cross pond - it just means cheese with salad veggies in the sandwich.
You guys generally get UK speak. I had someone once imagine grated cheese in mayonnaise or something.
The average local would not know what kedgeree was if they fell over it.
Not to mention creeping Americanisms which started with the Mickey Mouse Club.
Steamed veg and cottage cheese for lunch, planning to have some linguine and lemon-garlic sauce for supper.
Lunch: white pudding with beetroot salad and bought vanilla liégeoise dessert
Weekend dinner: we have already had the apéritif: smoked salmon canapés and WINE (Pouilly Fuissé). Husband en rouge is cooking scallops with sweet potato purée once Captain Pyjamas gone to bed. Cheese and grapes after.
Lunch was a corned beef sandwich with salad garnish.
Tonight: a tuna steak with new potatoes and runner beans from my neighbours’ garden.
Tea was muntjac wellington, followed by a mango, ginger and turmeric smoothie. Now we are celebrating the weekend with Sarti Rosa Spritz, a cocktail we discovered on our visit to Austria last year.
Lunch: prawn & mayonnaise sarnie, Twix bar
With afternoon cuppa: piece of millionaire's shortbread (I presume left over from the CAKES we had yesterday).
Supper: f&c.
Lunch at my favourite local NT property: Sadly the roast veg on sourdough that Mr RoS had the last time we were there was not on the menu, so I was back to jacket potato with tuna/sweetcorn/mayo with a generous side salad, and 2 extra sachets of mayo. Usually I really enjoy that, but had been looking forward to the roast veg on sourdough, so it was a bit of a disappointment.
No dessert, as I find that their selection of cakes on Fridays is a bit sparse, and not as fresh as they might be. Came home and had a couple of chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea.
Supper: Garlicky tomatoes on toast ( Plum tomatoes from the garden.)
Lunch was smoked trout on a green salad with whipped feta.
Lunch was in two parts, scone + jam before a concert, then a couple of crackers with Brie and a pear when I got home.
This evening, some crisps and a ready made lasagne with a bowl of chunky salad bits.
Breakfast: brioche and marmalade, cereal with yoghurt
Lunch: pasta (kept hot in a thermos) with tomato sauce and olives, an apple and a couple of cookies. Also a sort of chocolate cake which another hiker had brought to share and which it would have been rude to refuse
Dinner: croque monsieur (a sort of grilled ham and cheese sandwich) with lambs' lettuce. Panna cotta after.
Lunch: toasted sandwich of avocado, tomato & bacon.
Dinner: Savoy, leeks & bacon braised in cider and served with mustardy mashed potatoes.
Before I left, I had half a toasted roll with honey, and OJ.
We stopped off at a roadside eaterie, where I had eggs Benedict, unusually on crumpets rather than muffins.
This rendered lunch unnecessary, so I just had a coffee.
We stopped in Pitlochry on the way back and a friend and I shared scampi and chips.
Sensible eating will resume, eventually ...
Lunch: baguette with smoked trout pate, accompanied by a cannellini bean and date salad.
Dinner: Mr Heavenly slow cooked a lovely beef shin casserole topped with croutons. This was followed by a shop bought crème caramel.
Wine: a nice organic Malbec.
Plan for today is coffee and bagel. Homemade soup. Something with steak. And a nice red of course.
Something lighter tonight, possibly eggy.
Had a really good lunch with friends out at Gabrielskloof in the Overberg, overlooking olive groves, orchards of lemon trees and hundreds of large dust-coloured sheep on hillsides. Not a warm day so I had braised pork belly with tart apple, a crispy potato cake, green beans and some kind of insane maple syrup, bacon and sharp vinegar sauce. Gabrielskloof's Rosebud wine, dry and irresistible. No room for dessert or cheeses, sad.
For me, breakfast: toast and Marmite
Sunday lunch: charcuterie and Prosecco for the apéritif, mains of rabbit with mushroom sauce, carrots and potatoes, cheese, and dessert from the patissier's (a sort of fig tart). Served with a nice Burgundy.
Sunday night nibblage: charcuterie, bread sticks and dip.
My son cooked two legs of lamb, roast and mashed potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peas and green beans, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshires and gravy.
This was preceded by home made home grown tomato soup, and followed by bought apple strudel with custard.
I have just found room for a small sandwich with salad garnish.
Lunch was leftover butter beans & tuna in tomatoey sauce. Poppyseed crumble cake for pud.
Supper, two slices of toast with Brussels paté. And Cherry tomatoes, of course.
I am eating them like sweeties at the moment, every time I go into the kitchen. I am really going miss them when the weather turn cold & the plants keel over!
There were five of us at the table, but he plated up three more meals for absent family and also made a mashed potato topped pie with all the leftovers.
Privately slightly disappointed not to be offered a couple of slices for my meal today!
Lentil, feta and tomato salad for lunch. My Lagos-born neighbour down the road is making her grandmother's Exceptional Jollof Rice and I am hoping for left-overs because she has a coveted supply of grains of paradise (alligator pepper ) which is citrusy and very fragrant.
This evening, off to a wine tasting and hoping for interesting and substantial tapas because who spits instead of swallowing good summer wine?
The midday soup is simmering - clear-the-fridge vegetables + chilli flakes - to be topped with refried leftover steak.
In continuing birthday treat mode, fondue this evening, since to Mr F a day without cheese is a day wasted.
The dish whose name is the instructions! 🤣
Lunch: cheese & onion sandwich, chocolate bar
Supper: Piglet's Pancetta Pasta
Just now: grapes
Lunch: Leftover savoy & Leeks etc.
Dinner: Slow-cooked Spiced Pork, with potatoes, green beans & broccoli. Pudding was poppyseed crumble cake with custard.
Lunch: chunk of tomme cheese and some salted peanuts
Tea: I was teaching til gone 8pm so we had dinner at 9pm of basmati rice, fresh butterflied sardines and red onion and coriander salsa.
We find that sausages can be a problem depending on the meat//meal ratio. The Great British Banger isn’t ideal, as many have a comparatively low meat content.