Phobias
Boogie
Heaven Host
in All Saints
Phobias are strange things aren't they?
You can't think or rationalise them away.
I used to have a fear of spiders which has completely gone now. Nothing caused it to go, it just went. I'm glad about that because when I'm gardening the wolf spiders are everywhere.
I now have a new fear which started four years ago - cows. I avoid being anywhere near them. I have no idea where it came from. My brother used to be a farmer and I would bring in the cows for him and happily lead the bull (Willy!) back into his pen.
This morning I was in the field, I had checked for cows - none to be seen.
I was halfway up the field when several young bullocks galloped from the other field, not towards me - towards the gate. They were expecting the farmer with food. But that cut me off from the gate. Adrenalin pumping I jumped into the stream and scrambled up the banking then through the fence. My dog had to follow the best he could!
Do you have a phobia? Have you overcome a phobia?
Tell us your funny/scary stories!
You can't think or rationalise them away.
I used to have a fear of spiders which has completely gone now. Nothing caused it to go, it just went. I'm glad about that because when I'm gardening the wolf spiders are everywhere.
I now have a new fear which started four years ago - cows. I avoid being anywhere near them. I have no idea where it came from. My brother used to be a farmer and I would bring in the cows for him and happily lead the bull (Willy!) back into his pen.
This morning I was in the field, I had checked for cows - none to be seen.
I was halfway up the field when several young bullocks galloped from the other field, not towards me - towards the gate. They were expecting the farmer with food. But that cut me off from the gate. Adrenalin pumping I jumped into the stream and scrambled up the banking then through the fence. My dog had to follow the best he could!
Do you have a phobia? Have you overcome a phobia?
Tell us your funny/scary stories!
Comments
'Phobias, causing many a disturbance, but finally thrown into prison.'
I have lurking claustrophobia - one reason I dislike London - besides the crowds and air 90% petrol fumes - is the Tube. There was one time we were delayed entering a station when I was very near losing it
Me too!
I used to have a manager who was absolutely terrified of tortoises.
These days, the phobia tends to be of the other kind: I just hate them. I can tolerate their existence, but not in my home. If one comes in, it will die.
The other main phobia I have is claustrophobia. It's not too bad, but it can set me into a negative spiral when I have a heavy cold and can't breathe through my nose.
The above two phobias explain two things about my film-watching. 1) I maintain that Arachnophobia is the scariest film ever made. 2) The cave-in scene in The Descent is the scariest scene in a film ever made.
I'm (luckily) not scared of spiders, but I've been host to a few quite large ones over the last few days, mostly in the bath. I don't really want to share my shower with them, but I don't want to harm them either, so I coax them on to a bit of bog roll and let them out somewhere else.
What I am scared of is mould on food: if it could be killed, it would be!
I also think that I caught a bit of David's fear of snakes; he couldn't even watch that bit in The Jungle Book without going and making a cup of tea/ hiding behind a cushion/ changing channels. I'm not quite that bad, but I'd rather not look at them if I don't have to.
How do you cope with visiting other people's houses?
I've taken to propogating tradescantia - I sell them for charity - I've got creeping plants all over the place!
I do have an uneasy relationship with heights, but happy to get there by non-wobbly means and happy when I'm up there. Just don't like wobbly means of ascent.
Coarse nylon, on the other hand, creeps me right out. I don't know if it's a hangover from nearly setting nylon shirts on fire by leaning on the Rayburn as a kid but I worked in a lab where we sieved things with nylon mesh and I really had to steel myself to handle them.
I'm very wary, my cousin had to move the cactus from her bathroom before I'd use it. She has a needle phobia so understood. I loathe tradescantia with a passion!
(There is even a protocol for treating spider phobia in a few hours with the therapist and the patient curing their phobia at the same time, though this particular protocol is rarely used as it required access to some spiders to use in the therapy room.)
The same shyness is true for most snakes out here and with the exception of mambas, most are not aggressive. I had a frightening experience years ago when I inadvertently backed a cobra into the corner of a very dusty cluttered verandah in Limpopo province: it gave a high thin cry like a baby before rearing up and striking, just past me. I still shiver to think about that.
What does scare me (after surviving a few bouts of malaria) are whining anopheles mosquitos even when I'm not in a malaria-prone area because even under nets and covered with Tabac, I am convinced they can get at me.
Oh, and scorpions creeping into a pair of slippers under your bed.
My wife loves birds of prey and she is happy with any birds in the garden (mind you, she thinks magpies are bullies). But she can't go into an aviary or butterfly house where birds or insects are fluttering around close to her.
I've been up the Eiffel Tower, and a few other high structures, but the worst was Liverpool C of E Cathedral, where I found it hard to even get out of the lift, and a short way onto the leaded roof...there were balustrades (or whatever), of course, but I simply couldn't sum up the courage to approach them...
When I was teaching in a primary school (this was 30 years ago - changed career after that) there was a girl who was so terrified of spiders that she would start crying if she found a picture of one in a book. There were two other children in the class, Alex and Rebecca, who were not afraid of spiders at all and were very sensible, so if I ever noticed a spider in the room I quietly gave them suitable containers and asked them if they could dispose of the spider outside as discreetly as possible before the phobic girl noticed. I was immensely grateful to them for this and made them special bravery certificates at the end of term.
The teacher next door was also completely unable to remove spiders himself, so I occasionally had a message sent by another child asking if he could borrow Alex and Rebecca for five minutes…