›

Bishop Budde resignation

I read in the Guardian that Bishop Budde has resigned. The article I read did not give a reason and I have not been able to find one elsewhere. I know she is 66 but that's not really retirement age as far as the church is usually concerned, but no future plans were mentioned as far as I can see.
Do US shipmates have a sense of what's happening or any reasons?
Thanks!

Comments

  • ArethosemyfeetArethosemyfeet Shipmate, Heaven Host
    If I read rightly she's not going until 2028 which does suggest a non-urgent situation but I have no further knowledge than the same article.
  • For those interested, Bishop Budde’s letter about her resignation can be read here.

    She doesn’t give a reason. An article in the Salt Lake Tribune says:
    Budde said her departure is officially designated as a resignation, not a retirement, because prelates in the Episcopal Church typically retain the title of bishop even after they leave posts. But she will remain bishop throughout the process, which will involve creating a search committee, choosing a slate of candidates and electing a new bishop in January 2028.

    “It’s kind of awkward in that way,” she said, “because I have to announce it — or we have to announce it — and then life goes back as usual for two years.”
    That would appear to suggest that it is a retirement, even if earlier than usual. While the mandatory retirement age for Episcopal bishops is 72, this Q&A from the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles says the average retirement age is 66. Bishop Budde will be 67 this December, and 68 when her resignation/retirement is effective in June, 2028.


  • WandererWanderer Shipmate
    Thank you both. Leaving in 2028 does sound reasonable for retirement and the "you have to call it resignation not retirement" thing sounds like typical church procedural quirks.
    Thanks for the links @Nick Tamen
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    She’s leaving on 3 June 2028. She appears to be allowing sufficient time for the selection and appointment of a successor plus some handover period. No doubt there are personal as well as procedural reasons but for the present at least those have not been disclosed.

    She’s served for 15 years already and in my opinion with distinction. I don’t think there’s any reason to spy a plot here. But I wishe her very well.
Sign In or Register to comment.