›

How Long Since

This was inspired by the thread about detecting one's age. The questions are not only for the aged.

How long has it been since you attended a wedding?
How long has it been since you attended a funeral?
How long has it been since you attended a baptism?
How long has it been since you attended a school graduation?
How long has it been since you attended a parade?
How long has it been since you attended a play?

Feel free to add more questions.

Comments

  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    How long has it been since you attended a wedding? (Summer of 2024)
    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? ( September 7, 2026)
    How long has it been since you attended an ordination? (September 12, 2026. Son of man whose funeral we attended on September 7, our brother in law. )
    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? ( God only knows.)
    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? (May 2026, I work at a uni.)
    How long has it been since you attended a parade? ( Students parade into graduation, May 2026)
    How long has it been since you attended a play? (August 2026)
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    How long has it been since you attended...

    Wedding? Last Friday. I was singing in the choir. If you mean a wedding where I know the bride and groom, three weeks ago.

    Funeral? July 2025.

    Baptism? Adult baptism as part of confirmation service, Pentecost 2024 IIRC. Couple of infant baptisms last year, can't remember exactly when.

    School graduation? We don't do those in the UK. Although some American customs are creeping over here, especially the ones that involve having to buy expensive clothes that you'll only wear once. If we're talking university graduation, the last one I attended was my own, last century.

    Parade? Pride parade, June last year.

    Play? June this year. Do we get extra points for opera? Not that it matters as I also went to see a play a couple of weeks later. Although all that proves is that I have enough money to buy theatre tickets more than once a month.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited September 28
    How long has it been since you attended a wedding? So long I can't remember!
    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? One year
    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? Six months
    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? Never!
    How long has it been since you attended a parade? Yesterday - our local carnival
    How long has it been since you attended a play? One week
  • I attended a wedding in 2024, for a work colleague of Mr Heavenly. It was in a little rural parish church. It is the only time in at least two decades that I have sung Shine, Jesus, Shine and I assume they knew it from school.
    I attended my brother in law’s funeral in 2024 (older sister’s husband). It was a secular funeral at the Crem and I learnt some things about him I didn’t previously known, such as him being a hunt saboteur. He was a local volunteer ranger and we had the wake in his favourite country pub.
    We don’t have ordinations at my church but we blessed the new lead minister this summer 2026.
    We have adult baptisms in the pool at church every couple of months, the last was a member of the youth group about 3 weeks ago.
    Depends what you mean by school graduation; I watched my youngest son and his girlfriend graduate from university in July 2026, both with Masters degrees.
    Parades aren’t really my cup of tea. I went to the Notting Hill Carnival about 30 years ago. I suppose I have probably seen a bit of marching on Remembrance Day but I haven’t been for over a decade.
    I saw a song cycle about St Francis at Greenbelt this summer 2026 which was performed as a play.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    How long has it been since you attended a wedding? [I think it about 2008]
    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? [I think that would be 2011; my family is a period where one generation are all gone and the next are now rapidly approaching their 80s]
    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? [2017 or 2018, my niece's.]
    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? [Schools don't have graduations in this country; last graduation I went to was my own, when I left university in 2006]
    How long has it been since you attended a parade? [I think that would be the Make Way March in about 1986]
    How long has it been since you attended a play? [Had to look this one up; it was Waiting For Godot starring Gandalf & Jean-Luc Picard - it must have been 2009]

    Other questions I would add:
    When was the last time you wrote a handwritten letter?
    When was the last time you went to the doctor?
    When was the last time your injured yourself simply by putting on or removing an article of clothing?
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    @Sipech

    Handwritten letter: last Christmas probably, I usually email or phone.

    Last visit to doctor: I do not share details of my medical history on the Internet. Not even relatively nonspecific details like this.

    Last time I injured myself with clothes: so long ago I can't remember.
  • How long has it been since you attended a wedding? May
    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? August (2 funerals)
    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? Spring 2025
    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? May
    How long has it been since you attended a parade? July
    How long has it been since you attended a play? April
    When was the last time you wrote a handwritten letter? May (at least that’s the last time I’m sure of)
    When was the last time you went to the doctor? Last week
    When was the last time your injured yourself simply by putting on or removing an article of clothing? Never, though I’ve probably jinxed it now.

  • Wedding? Three years ago, I think. The one former student that I've kept in touch with over the years has triplet daughters. I attended two of their weddings; the third was a private affair.

    Funeral? My father's, exactly 10 years ago.

    Baptism? 13 years ago -- my grand-nephew.

    School graduation? About 15 years ago, I think -- my nephew.

    Parade? Can't remember -- it has to be at least 50 years.

    Play? About a year ago. The theater is one of my few remaining pleasures.

    Handwritten letter? When my mother died, 20 years ago. But if typewritten letters count, just last week -- complaining about so-called "Customer Service" at my bank.

    Doctor So often I can't pin one time down. My next appointment is tomorrow.

    Injured yourself simply by putting on or removing an article of clothing? I don't think I've done this, but I do bruise easily. Sometimes I think I can bruise my arm simply by looking at it.
  • How long has it been since you attended a wedding? My niece’s wedding in 2012. She has since divorced and found a more suitable partner.

    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? In March, that of a well respected and loved F/friend. I wish I’d known him better from what I learnt that day.

    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? My son in law was baptised by immersion, must have been 15 years ago.

    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? I don’t know what this means, so never.

    How long has it been since you attended a parade? An Orange parade passed us while walking in Glasgow, must be about 7 years ago. I wouldn’t say I attended it.

    How long has it been since you attended a play? About 18 months ago, several new one act plays , one written by an online friend. All excellent

    When was the last time you wrote a handwritten letter? I wrote a letter to my teenage granddaughter during COVID lockdown as a way to keep in touch. I love that she wrote back.

    When was the last time you went to the doctor? A year or so ago.

    When was the last time you injured yourself simply by putting on or removing an article of clothing? Don’t think I’ve ever done this!
  • How long is it since we could see our feet when standing up?

    Wedding? My daughter's in April.

    Funerals? Too many and too often.

    Parade? Unless you count walking around the outside of the church chanting 'Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal have mercy upon us' on the Sundays where that's required, then ... let me think. I took part in Remembrance Day parades the last time I was on the council but parades aren't as much of a thing here than they are elsewhere.

    I don't think I've ever seen a parade with Da Souza marches and ticker-tape.
  • I don't think I've ever seen a parade with Da Souza marches and ticker-tape.
    Do you mean John Philip Sousa?


  • How long has it been since you attended
    ... a wedding? 2023, my nephew.
    a funeral?... 2023, my mother.
    an ordination? 2025, at our host congregation.
    a baptism? 2026, a couple of them, at our host congregation.
    a school graduation? 2024, my son's university.
    a parade? (2020, we were in it--it was a substitute for my son's high school graduation. We took the top off the Jeep, strapped his drum and xylophone to the bars that no longer supported the roof, and let him play his way down the route, in full graduation garb)
    How long has it been since you attended a play? (three months ago, Romeo and Juliet--an opera)

    To be fair, I'm a pastor's wife and attend services at a double church. So we get to all the milestones, it feels like.

    As for writing letters, I think I handwrote one a month ago (a card).
    Seeing the doctor, I do that perpetually, or so it seems. Last week?
    Injuring myself with my clothing--I really don't think I've ever done this. which astonishes me, as I manage to do it in every other inconceivable way, like turning over in bed.
  • I am struggling to remember exactly which year the events occurred, but most are in the 2000s.

    Wedding of daughter's childhood friend, after 2010 as we were back living in our home city.
    Funeral (a couple of years ago, mother of my bridesmaid)
    Graduation, 2018 Cheery daughter from University, thought we'd never get there!
    Saw the GP about 3 months ago for new prescriptions, need to get an appointment for Cheery son for ongoing issues.
    Baptism, I couldn't tell you about one at church because I started attending the early Sunday service and baptisms tended to happen in the later morning service.
    I haven't been to a parade, cinema, theatre, and only eat outside at cafes since 2020.
    I was struggling with pj pants last night and decided to sit down rather than have an accident.

  • Last wedding? Spousal nephew 2018

    Last baptism? 2000 I think

    Last funeral? 6 weeks ago

    Last ordination? 2014 in Adelaide

    Last graduation? Mine ( master’s) 2016

    Last parade? Anzac Day ?2015 here in Sydney ( working at local RAN base so social suicide not to attend)

  • wedding? A couple of colleagues a decade ago.
    funeral? November. Three more family funerals this year so far, but I'm not going to be able to / didn't make any of them.
    baptism? A month ago
    school graduation? June
    parade? Last summer
    play? Well, it depends on what you call a play. A ballet? June. (Coppélia). A musical? Cats, 18 months ago. An actual play? As You Like It, in a local park three years ago.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a parade with Da Souza marches and ticker-tape.
    Do you mean John Philip Sousa?


    Yes. I meant him.

    Apologies.

    On the other things listed...

    I do write cards and notes to people by hand but no longer full letters.

    I don't go to the doctors very often but have had some minor issues to deal with recently. How long that will continue I don’t know.

    I go to the cinema a few times a year and that may increase as I have a single male friend who is keen to go to see films with me when his Buddhist monk pal isn't available.

    I don't eat out in restaurants or cafes a great deal but occasionally do so with my younger daughter and her husband and in-laws - and also when I'm on holiday.

    There were other things on the list I'll think about before responding.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    How long has it been since you attended a wedding? - So long ago I cant remember.
    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? - I'm an organist. I play at a dozen or so every year,
    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? - Grandson 12 years ago
    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? - Not a British thing.
    How long has it been since you attended a parade? - Never
    How long has it been since you attended a play? - I don't attend plays (I struggle to suspend disbelief.) So I don't watch dramas on TV but prefer documentaries/quizzes etc.
  • I thought there were more items on the list ... just checked.

    Baptism - we had a few adult baptisms at Easter this year as well as a goodly number of people 'received' by chrismation.

    Play - I performed in an amateur production of Much Ado ... in July and am rehearsing for Great Expectations at the moment. I've also been asked to stand-in for one of the cast for 2 dates of a murder mystery in December. Yikes!

    I've not been to see a play for a few years though and aim to redress that this autumn.

    School graduation - what's one of those? 😉 We don’t tend to do those over here - thank goodness - but high school 'proms' have drifted in from across the Atlantic in recent years.

    Injured myself on an item.of clothing - there's always a first time. There were a few occasions when I trapped the skin of ahem a loose part of my anatomy in my flies (zipper) as a kid with eye-watering results but no permanent damage.

    That was a long time ago.
  • This is where the bris comes in handy…
  • Baptisms…I’d forgotten about my years as a chorister at St-Pat’s-in-the-West: always a ton of adult baptisms @ Easter Vigil in that very multicultural part of the world. So last baptisms I witnessed would have been in 2012.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited September 30
    Wedding - five years (I think) - my nephew

    Funeral - Summer 2025 - a lady at St Pete's; also sang in the choir at the memorial service for the late Lord Wallace in June this year.

    Baptism - About six months (a gentleman who's recently joined the congregation at St Pete's)

    School graduation - I've never attended a school graduation; the last university one I attended would have been in about 2015, when David was an adjunct prof at the theological college in St John's

    Parade - Linlithgow Marches in June.

    Play - About three years - An Inspector Calls in Edinburgh



  • How long has it been since you attended a wedding? 13 years - Younger Son’s

    How long has it been since you attended a funeral? I don’t think I have attended one since my mother’s in 1999. I seem to have long-lived friends, and the ones that have died had funerals too far away for me to travel to. Should have gone to one at our church earlier the year, but having got myself suitably dressed I looked at the details and discovered that it was not at 2pm, as I thought, but had been at 12noon!

    How long has it been since you attended a baptism? I have been to two baptismal services the year.

    How long has it been since you attended a school graduation? Never. It has not been a ‘thing’ in the UK, although in the last few years my grandsons’ pre-school has held a ‘graduation’ for children moving on to real school.

    How long has it been since you attended a parade? May 2016, Children’s Parade at the Brighton Festival - grand children taking part

    How long has it been since you attended a play? Got tickets for one last November, but the weather was foul and there was no public transport nearby, nor any parking, so I gave it a miss. I was a frequent matinee goer pre-Covid, but have not been since.

    When was the last time you wrote a handwritten letter? June this year, to an old friend whose birthday, three months earlier, I had completely forgotten.

    When was the last time you went to the doctor? I have been to the surgery a few times this year for various blood tests, vaccinations etc, but don’t think I have seen an actual doctor - unless my cataract op counts That was three weeks ago

    When was the last time you injured yourself simply by putting on or removing an article of clothing? Nothing clothing related that I recall. Have fallen over Mr RoS’s feet several times this year with minor injurious results, depending on where I landed.
Sign In or Register to comment.